It is possible to modify the existing EndNote styles to change how the intext references and bibliography displays. You can also create a completely new style to meet your needs.
Changing the way reference templates display in your bibliography:
You will only be able to edit the style if the style is saved to your computer.
- Go to Edit - Output styles - select the style to edit.
- Select Citations to view how the intext citation displays and make any changes.
- Select Bibliography - Templates to view the templates for the different reference types and make changes.
- When you close the style window, you will be prompted to save changes you have made. If you wish to save the style with a new name, click File - Save As. Name the new style (e.g. Harvard_annotated). You will need to select the new style from the Output Style drop down menu and Select Another Style.
Modifying field names and adding new fields to a reference type:
- Go to Edit - Preferences - Reference Types
- Select Modify Reference Types
- Select the reference type from the drop-down menu.
- You can change the field labels (right hand column) for any reference types. If a field label is not added in the right hand column, the field will not display in the template. Use the Custom fields to create new fields.
Adding new reference types
- From the Modify Reference type drop down menu select Unused 1, Unused 2 or Unused 3 to create an entirely new reference type. If additional reference types are needed, the existing references types that you don't need can also be renamed and modified.
- Give names on the right hand side to the field(s) you wish to include for the reference type.
- If you create an entirely new reference type, you will need to add a template for it in the output style you are using:
- Go to Edit - Output styles and selct the style to edit.
- Select Bibliography - templates.
- Click Reference types and select the new template you have created.
- Click Insert Field to select the fields to add to the reference template.