Some styles require journal titles to be abbreviated
Set up in EndNote
- Click Tools
- Select Open term lists then Journals term list
- If a term list is installed you'll see something like "1372 Journals in the Journals List"
- To install a new term list (will replace the old list), click the Lists tab
- Highlight Journals
- Click Import List...
- Browse to your EndNote folder and look for the Term lists folder;
or, download one of the bigger terms lists from Lincoln University and use that file instead
- Open Chemical.txt (or the appropriate list for your discipline)
- Click Close
- If you want to double-check that the list is imported, repeat steps 1–3
These instructions import the term lists that come with EndNote.
Turn off auto-update
It is recommended that the default auto-update of terms lists be turned off, as that helps to prevent unwanted changes to the list. Go to Edit > Preferences > Terms Lists, anduntick the boxes "Update lists when importing…" and “Update lists during data entry”
Adding new abbreviations
You can add new abbreviations for journals not appearing in the original terms list. Go to Tools > Open Terms Lists > Journal Terms List.
- Find the full journal title and click the “Edit Term” button; or,
- If the journal title is not in the terms list, click the “New Term” button, and then enter the full journal title and the abbreviation
Journal abbreviation resources on the web