Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Stages in the Research Process
Created by Research & Innovation and UC Library, this portal brings together resources to support researchers at every stage of the research life cycle with a curated list of links to the people, resources and information.
A database for capturing information about UC research outputs, Student Supervisions, Grants, Professional Activities and PBRF Portfolios (replaces many functions formerly in Profiler)
A database for capturing information about UC teaching and some administrative processes (formerly the UC People & Research database)
PBRF, Elements and Profiler support
Contact details of PBRF Advisors (UC Research & Innovation)
The Performance Based Research Fund (PBRF) at UC (Intranet)
A brief introduction to PBRF and where you can find more specific information about the PBRF at UC.
UC Research Repository
Contains theses (PDF format) and archives. Search for ‘Philosophy’ – possibly first Browse by Communities & Collections
An important registry of unique researcher identifiers
ResearcherID (Thomson Reuters)
“ResearcherID information integrates with the Web of Science and is ORCID compliant, allowing you to claim and showcase your publications from a single one account.”
Guidance for UC academic staff and students
LEARN and Additional Content
- In-Print Books: the Library can apply to Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ) for a transactional licence when an additional 10% from any in-print book is required (up to 20% in total from the in-print book). For now the Library will pay for these transactional licences.
- Out-of-Print Books: the Library can apply to CLNZ for OOP licences. The content used can be up to 100% of an out-of-print book if the application is accepted.
- If the Library owns or can purchase an ebook version, no licences will be sought, unless the ebook access is limited to one or three users
Electronic Journal Articles
For any requests or questions, contact the Library via firstname.lastname@example.org
LEARN Help for Staff
Support for eLearning technologies, including LEARN and course material of scanned copyright documents
Technology Enabled Learning Facility (TELF)
○ Practise using and/or receive training in the use of the teaching technologies (lectern) found in UC teaching spaces.
○ Create teaching materials (video recordings, narrated PowerPoint presentations etc.).
○ Teach classes and conduct tutorials to students at a distance using web conferencing (Adobe Connect, Zoom)
Collection Information for Library Liaison Officers
Each academic department has a designated person to act as their Library Liaison Officer (LLO). It is a voluntary role, and the person selected to undertake the responsibilities is organised by the department
- Recommendations to purchase: email John Arnold (Subject Librarian for Philosophy) for books, journals* and databases*
- Journals and databases undergo an annual review process (normally in July) in which new resources with an ongoing financial commitment are considered. The Library considers new recommendations for subscription submitted at other times during the year on a case-by-case basis
- Library Storage: by appointment only, UC academics and postgraduates can request to browse library materials that are shelved in storage. To make an appointment, please email library staff
Pathfinders to resources at UC, tailored for each subject
The Library Committee
The Library Committee is a committee of the Academic Board who report activities on a regular basis to the Vice-Chancellor and the Academic Board. Meetings are on the first Friday of each month