If you don't see EndNote Tool bar after installation, the simplest way get the tools to appear is to open EndNote, and go to the EndNote menu. Select "Customizer" from the EndNote menu. Check the box in front of the "Cite While You Write" option. Click next until the process is finished. Open a library. Then open Word and check the Tools menu for the EndNote submenu or click View and tick EndNote
If you are using other version of Word such as Word 2004 & 2008, please refer to EndNote: Working With Word Processors / CWYW from Thomson Reuters.
Time Out Error - 1712 when attempting use EndNote toolbar in Word
This problem is not caused by Word or EndNote, rather specifically OS X 10.8.2 update
Solution: EndNote X6.0.2 Update: An update for EndNote X6 has been released to address the issues associated with this bug in the OSX 10.8.2 operating system:
- If you have not already done so, install the X6.0.1 for Mac OS X Update. You can check this by going to the EndNote menu and selecting About EndNote.
- Download and unzip the EndNote X6.0.2 Update.
- Double-click on the "EndNote X6.0.2 Updater" file.
Citations not importing from Safari
Safari only seems to download citation files to the desktop; they then need to be click-and-dragged into Endnote. Instructions here suggest a fix but I haven't been able to investigate yet - it might only be a partial fix. If you can bring yourself to use Firefox, it works a lot more smoothly.
Citations not importing from Firefox
The first time you export citations from a database it asks you whether to open or save. Choose "Open", then browse to find EndNote X7, and make sure to click "Do this every time" before clicking "Okay".
"There are no references selected in the frontmost EndNote library"
If you get this message while trying to insert references into a Word document:
- You've probably saved your Endnote library as a "package". Solution: Open your Endnote library, save as new copy, but don't "save as package". This will create two files instead of just one 'package', but it solves the problem of adding references to Word.
- Alternatively the version of your Word Endnote tools might not match the version of your Endnote application. Follow the instructions here to fix this. If you have the toolbar showing, you'll also need to close it and reopen it from the View > Toolbars menu.