Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Adding References to EndNote Online
It is easier to import references to your EndNote desktop library and sync them to your EndNote Online library but both manual entry and import from databases is possible.
Click the Collect tab then New reference
- Select the reference type from the drop down menu
- Fill in required information for your style.
- Click Save
- There is no Preview function - you can only see how your record displays when the reference list is created.
The following databases allow direct export to EndNote Web in their output options
- Ebsco databases e.g. Business Source Complete, ERIC, PsycInfo
All other databases
1. Mark selected records
2. Look for a Save or Export option in the database
3. If given options, choose full records and EndNote format e.g. .ris
4. Save the file to your Downloads folder (or somewhere you can find it)
5. In EndNote Online - click Collect - Import References
6. Select the database filter to allow your records to be imported correctly.
For Multisearch use the ProQuest filter
For GoogleScholar use the EndNote Import filter
A capture button can be added to your browser toolbar (Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer). Note that this cannot be installed on campus computers.
Log in to EndNote Online. Go to the Options tab and select Download Installers
Follow the instructions, and simply drag the button onto your browser's toolbar.
The toolbar button will collect one reference at a time.
- Display the reference
- Click on the Capture icon in your browser toolbar
- Scroll down to the bottom of the new record window and select the group you wish to save the reference to.
- Click Save at the top of the record window