Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
It is possible to modify the existing EndNote styles to change how the intext references and bibliography displays. You can also create a completely new style to meet your needs.
You will only be able to edit the style if the style is saved to your computer.
- Go to Tools - Output styles - select the style to edit.
- Select Citations to view how the intext citation displays and make any changes.
- Select Bibliography - Templates to view the templates for the different reference types and make changes.
- When you close the style window, you will be prompted to save changes you have made. If you wish to save the style with a new name, click File - Save As. Name the new style. You will need to select the new style from the Output Style drop down menu and Select Another Style.
Modifying field names and adding new fields to a reference type:
- Go to Edit - Preferences - Reference Types
- Select Modify Reference Types
- Select the reference type from the drop-down menu.
- You can change the field labels (right hand column) for any reference types. If a field label is not added in the right hand column, the field will not display in the template. Use the Custom fields to create new fields.
Adding new reference types
- From the Modify Reference type drop down menu select Unused 1, Unused 2 or Unused 3 to create an entirely new reference type. If additional reference types are needed, the existing references types that you don't need can also be renamed and modified.
- Give names on the right hand side to the field(s) you wish to include for the reference type.
- If you create an entirely new reference type, you will need to add a template for it in the output style you are using:
- Go to Tools - Output styles and select the style to edit.
- Select Bibliography - templates.
- Click Reference types and select the new template you have created.
- Click Insert Field to select the fields to add to the reference template.
More information on editing and modifying EndNote styles.